The study of science fiction and fantasy is now over 75 years old. Although historically it was focused in English departments, in the past twenty years this has changed and strong work is emerging in film, TV, art, and linguistics groups.
The Centre for Science Fiction and Fantasy connects several major strengths within Anglia Ruskin University–writing and publishing alongside literary criticism–and places them within this wider interdisciplinary context. It is comprised of staff members, associate lecturers and postgraduate and undergraduate students along with other academics, authors, editors, and members of the book publishing industry.
Our aim is to explore science fiction and fantasy as products that depend on the interaction of literary and visual media and that are constructed by both the publishing industry and and fan communities.
In the 2017/2018 school year we hosted two conferences:
J. G. Ballard & the Sciences (25 November 2017)
Shakespeare and Science Fiction (28 April 2018)
The Arthur C. Clarke Shadow Jury
The Arthur C. Clarke Award was established in 1987 with the twin aims of highlighting the best science fiction novel published in Britain in the given year, and introducing science fiction literature to a wider public. What set the Clarke Award apart from the start was its status as a juried award. Unlike the Hugo or the BSFA, the award would not be decided by fan votes, but judged according to literary criteria by a panel of jurors selected for their passion for the field and their expertise within it.
Our other projects include Samovar, a quarterly magazine of and about translated speculative fiction supported in part by the Centre for Science Fiction and Fantasy. We publish fiction and poetry in their original language and in English translation. We showcase the work both of writers and also translators, who we have to thank for opening doors to new worlds.
- 15 Of The Best Science Fiction And Genre Short Films Of 2018 — Science Fiction Sci-Fi Fantasy The 7th Matrix https://t.co/j3IB5unIxo
- Iconic Outerwear of Science Fiction & Fantasy Literature, Ranked - The B&N Sci-Fi and Fantasy Blog https://t.co/qC7rA7Grb4
- How sci-fi has changed your life, even if you don’t realize it – VICE News https://t.co/BQpki6PEDM
- Fabulous female protagonists https://t.co/kDo1E5hjz1
- 10 Must-Read Books about J. R. R. Tolkien – Pages Unbound | Book Reviews & Discussions https://t.co/UhnIboCfog
- Freed From Copyright, These Classic Works Are Yours To Adapt : NPR https://t.co/1ujhZjY7WS