The study of science fiction and fantasy is now over 75 years old. Although historically it was focused in English departments, in the past twenty years this has changed and strong work is emerging in film, TV, art, and linguistics groups.
The Centre for Science Fiction and Fantasy connects several major strengths within Anglia Ruskin University–writing, publishing, linguistics alongside literary criticism–and places them within this wider interdisciplinary context. It is comprised of staff members, associate lecturers and postgraduate and undergraduate students along with other academics, authors, editors, and members of the book publishing industry.
Our aim is to explore science fiction and fantasy as products that depend on the interaction of literary and visual media and that are constructed by both the publishing industry and and fan communities.
Our other projects include Samovar, a quarterly magazine of and about translated speculative fiction supported in part by the Centre for Science Fiction and Fantasy. We publish fiction and poetry in their original language and in English translation. We showcase the work both of writers and also translators, who we have to thank for opening doors to new worlds.
- Huge Congratulations to CSFF's @wordsofginger who just passed her viva, subject to minor corrections, on her disse… https://t.co/C8qr1JMapT
- Join Dr Phoenix Alexander this Thursday at 5.30 for a talk about the largest curated collection of science fiction… https://t.co/BaK0NNsHhn
- This weekend, CSFF general director @tiffaniangus is participating at this year's Eastercon @confusion2021 where sh… https://t.co/JmFJwnYfib
- Still mulling over attending the Migration and Exile in Science Fiction conference? Dr Helen Marshall (… https://t.co/VOkZVwEzqh
- CSFF's Dr Bettina Beinhoff, who studies conlangs, is asking for survey participants to rate a number of languages o… https://t.co/NzUnUinz2P
- Call for papers! "Migration and Exile in Science Fiction" conference in June, abstracts due 19 April.… https://t.co/29iiFZGF1o