The study of science fiction and fantasy is now over 75 years old. Although historically it was focused in English departments, in the past twenty years this has changed and strong work is emerging in film, TV, art, and linguistics groups.
The Centre for Science Fiction and Fantasy connects several major strengths within Anglia Ruskin University–writing, publishing, linguistics alongside literary criticism–and places them within this wider interdisciplinary context. It is comprised of staff members, associate lecturers and postgraduate and undergraduate students along with other academics, authors, editors, and members of the book publishing industry.
Our aim is to explore science fiction and fantasy as products that depend on the interaction of literary and visual media and that are constructed by both the publishing industry and and fan communities.
Our other projects include Samovar, a quarterly magazine of and about translated speculative fiction supported in part by the Centre for Science Fiction and Fantasy. We publish fiction and poetry in their original language and in English translation. We showcase the work both of writers and also translators, who we have to thank for opening doors to new worlds.
- @arrroberts investigates the 'fix-up' novel (SF novels that were created from compiled short stories) and segues to… https://t.co/NOyFLBqh5E
- A report on the recent Migration & Exile in Science Fiction conference plus a video of @manuscriptgal's keynote add… https://t.co/7llvZ6f3pf
- ARU-linked film team is working on APOCRYPHAL, which explores a connection between SF and mental health/substance a… https://t.co/zIwqJvr1JJ
- Find out more about Poetry Ensemble Live Canon's evening of science fiction poetry on June 20! https://t.co/Zh5DT7QBmt
- A reminder of a free online event co-organised by CSFF to be held this Saturday! Full details of how to register in… https://t.co/TI8TuKvzkj
- Join the CSFF and @RootsNew for a conference on migration and exile in SF - see here for full schedule and joining… https://t.co/zsmExCtkLQ